Saturday, July 5, 2008

One week down, 207 to go

This week has been nice and slow. In theory, I'll usually be showing up at 7:30 in the morning for conferences, but since things are just starting out, some of them have been canceled. Micro is a slow rotation by nature, so I'm usually done with "work" by 3 p.m., though I have to stay until 5 just in case. I had the 4th off, and I'm free this weekend too. Oh, and I have no call until September. The interns on surgical pathology are getting slammed -- one girl didn't go home until 9 p.m. the other night -- but they don't have to work weekends either. This is in stark contrast to my friends in other fields, who are all already pulling their hair out.

The micro lab has had a few technical issues this week, preventing me from observing what I've been scheduled to observe. I have three months to get it done, though, so the lab directors aren't fretting in the least. We have rounds at 1, which consists of the pathologists and the ID docs going over interesting cases. A lot of it is still over my head, but I'm not completely lost. The molecular lab also had some interesting dilemmas facing them, such as calibrating new tests. It quickly became clear why they need doctors overseeing the labs.

Thursday's "highlight" was sniffing some bacteria. Pseudomonas did indeed smell to me like grape -- fake, cough-syrup grape. The other intern (who is of Mexican descent) said it smelled like a corn tortilla; this is apparently a known and acceptable alternative. Streptococcus milleri smells like butterscotch.

The program in general is working hard to get us gradually acclimated. There are always upper-level residents helping you out; the micro fellow has been especially kind to us. The first few weeks' worth of morning lectures will be on how to gross, how to survive CP call, and other similar topics. There was an autopsy Thursday morning that all the interns were asked to watch. It was straightforward but very helpful. I'm not a fan of digging through dead bodies (grin and bear it ...), but seeing a massive pulmonary embolus wriggled out of a pulmonary artery is pretty darn cool.

I went out for drinks with the other interns and some PGY-2s Thursday, and there was a cookout Friday. For the most part, everyone's really friendly and laid-back, which makes the program even better.

So basically, no complaints so far! We'll see how I feel when I start surg path in October.

2 comments:

Noel said...

"I'm not a fan of digging through dead bodies"

LOL Really? So why Path then? I mean, you would expect that a Pathologist-to-be would at least be semi-excited about dead bodies. Unless you're aiming for clinical path.

BTW, love the blog so far. Hope you keep writing.

FB said...

I wish you have elaborated more on that first week in pathology. I loved what you wrote, but felt myself wanting to read more on what were your exact duties, and how you tackled them!!!! if by retrospect, you can shed some light, I would be indebted.

Love your blog!!