Thursday, June 26, 2008

First post

Might as well get things started. This blog is going to be about pathology residency and everything it entails. Most other path blogs I've seen focus on issues facing pathology and interesting cases. I want this one to be more of a window into what a pathology resident's life is like. Most laypeople, and even many physicians, are not entirely sure what all pathologists do, what they are capable of, and what they cannot do. I hope this blog gives a little insight into that.

I'm about to start my internship year as a pathology resident at a "name" program. At least for now, I'll use "PathRes" as my nickname, though hopefully I'll come up with a better one the next time I've had a few drinks.

Most of the other incoming interns (for surgery, medicine, etc.) at my institution have been doing orientation all week -- learning how things work at the program's multiple sites, getting ACLS/BLS certified, and all that good stuff. Me? I slept in all week, and I had a four-hour "mini-orientation" today, learning a bit about the microbiology lab (which is where I will spend my first three months). I met some of the other incoming interns, heard from all the chief residents, and, more importantly, learned that the cafeteria food is OK at best. I have a longer orientation day on Monday, and then I begin work Tuesday.

Micro is supposedly an easy rotation, compared to many of the others, so I'm hoping to start things out slow. This will also give me time to brush up on my histology and anatomy before I start surgical pathology (cutting up specimens and looking at tissue slides) in October. I am like most of my fellow path interns in that I'd planned to do a lot of reading before starting residency, but ended up just enjoying my final summer vacation instead. I also want to take Step 3 during this three-month block, since I have to take the same clinically oriented test as all other residents, and I assure you that the information isn't getting any clearer.

I'll post again Monday after orientation. Thanks for stopping by! I will be reading comments and only editing for content in cases of excessive language or personal attacks. Feel free to ask me questions, and I'll respond as able.

-PathRes

1 comment:

FB said...

Thank you so much for such helpful blog. It's exactly what I am looking for, since I am contemplating applying to Pathology next year in the US (I am an IMG).